New Jersey State Board of Accountancy
The New Jersey State Board of Accountancy handles CPA and firm licensing and CPE compliance. Contact information:
The NJCPA regularly attends the monthly meetings of the New Jersey State Board of Accountancy. Below are highlights from the meetings:
October 23, 2020
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and difficulties for CPA Exam candidates, the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, which oversees the New Jersey State Board of Accountancy, extended the deadline for licensees to complete their CPE for the 2018-2020 triennial period to June 30, 2021 from Dec. 31, 2020. The NJCPA, however, urges all CPAs to complete their CPE by the original Dec. 31 deadline, if possible, since credits taken between Jan. 1 and June 30, 2021, that are applied to the triennial cannot also be counted towards the next triennial beginning Jan. 1, 2021. The Division made the announcement after a recommendation from the NJCPA to extend the deadline. Read more here.
Additionally, CPA Exam credits and Notices to Schedule (NTS) that expire between March 9, 2020, and Dec. 30, 2020, have been extended to Dec. 31, 2020. Read more here. The additional time is in line with other state extensions. The Board cancelled its Oct. 15 meeting.
May 28, 2020
At the New Jersey Board of Accountancy’s May 28 meeting, the NJCPA asked the Board to consider extending several deadlines related to CPE, peer review, CPA candidate notice to schedule (NTS) dates and CPA Exam testing windows. These included the following:
- Extend the end of the triennial CPE reporting period from Dec. 31, 2020, to June 30, 2021.
- Extend peer review deadlines to follow the AICPA's peer review program deadline extensions. The AICPA has granted six-month extensions for peer reviews, corrective actions and implementation plans with original due dates between Jan. 1 and Sept. 30, 2020.
- Provide CPA candidates who have NTS expiration dates between April 1 and June 30, 2020, additional time beyond the current Sept. 30, 2020, extension. To bring New Jersey in line with the majority of other states, we recommend that candidates with NTS expiration dates between April 1 and Dec. 30, 2020, be extended to Dec. 31, 2020,
- Provide CPA candidates who have exceeded or are about to exceed the 18-month window between April 1 and June 30, 2020, an extension to Dec. 31, 2020.