In this course, we will cover two topics you are likely to encounter with your forward-thinking clients: small business succession planning and maximizing social security benefits. It's no secret that one of the most challenging aspects of owning a small business can be finding the proper exit strategy. This course will provide the business consulting practitioner with tools and concepts to advise small business owners and assist them in developing the right exit strategy. In addition, this course will delve into strategies that dovetail Social Security with other retirement and estate planning objectives to plan for the most comfortable possible retirement. This course provides tax and financial planning professionals with both the background information on the Social Security system and the strategies clients will need in dealing with Social Security and the myriad other related retirement planning issues.
Practitioners with clients contemplating Social Security, and practitioners with small business clients needing advise to sell their business.
- Understand the process of selling a business, how brokers operate and the fees they charge
- Understand how estate planning and family succession of a business interact and the structuring options for family business succession
- Discuss the taxation of Social Security benefits and how this impacts other income tax planning
- Discuss when to turn over operations while maintaining control of a family business: drawing distributions from the business for retirement and receiving a step-up in basis at death
- How to find unrelated buyers of a business
- Maintaining control of the business succession process
- Finding the right team to sell a business
- Options for selling a business to an unrelated party, family members or employees
- Overcoming the emotional attachment to a business
- Using family partnerships and trusts to transfer a business
- Pros and cons of claiming Social Security at various ages
- Retirement and spousal benefits
- What clients approaching retirement age should consider with respect to benefits for them, their spouses, and their children
- Coordinating benefits: should you take Social Security first and higher-balance IRA distributions later or take IRA balances first and enhanced Social Security benefits later?
A basic understanding of business entity types and taxation of sales of businesses as well as basic knowledge of retirement planning.
Course materials are distributed electronically. To access the materials visit My Events
. Download to your laptop or tablet prior to the seminar, handouts are added as received.