It's our annual in-depth look at governmental accounting and auditing, including the latest developments from the GASB and updates in SAS No. 134, the Yellow Book and Single Audit.
CPAs, auditors, city officials and other financial professionals who are involved in local government audits.
New Auditor Reporting Standards
Patricia O. Fede, CPA – Marks Paneth LLP
The AICPA’s Auditing Standards Board (ASB) issued its Statement on Auditing Standards No. 134 in May of 2019. Discuss modifications such as:
- Changes on the "Opinion” and “Basis of Opinion” sections.
- How the “Basis of Opinion” section of the auditor's report should include an affirmative statement about the auditor's independence.
- The communication of Key Audit Matters (KAMs).
- The revised description of the auditor and management.
Single Audit Update & Government Auditing Standards Yellow Book: 2018 Revision
John D’Amico, CPA and Philip Marciano, CPA, CGFM – Marks Paneth LLP
Each year there are modifications to Uniform Guidance that affect how auditors perform their Single Audits. This year is no different. Grab an update on regulatory changes that non-federal entities must abide by for federal award compliance. This session will cover vital recent changes affecting Single Audits and proposed OMB changes to Uniform Guidance
- Procurement standards.
- 2019 Compliance Supplement.
- 2019 data collection form.
- Proposed OMB changes to Uniform Guidance.
The 2018 Yellow Book will be in effect for financial audits beginning June 30, 2020 replacing the 2011 revision. This session will cover key changes including:
- New format and organization.
- New and clarified independence requirements for non-audit services.
- Peer review requirements.
- Waste and abuse.
- Other updates.
10:50 a.m.-12:05 p.m.
Hollis Hanson-Pollock, CPA - GASB
Many GASB pronouncements are currently being implemented, including Fiduciary Activities and Leases. Learn about the key issues on the GASB’s current agenda.
The Emergence of 5G Wireless Communication – Why You Should Be Concerned
Christopher Mangano – Ocellus Tech
Most people don’t realize that 5G (5th Generation Wireless) is the equivalent of a moon-landing moment in the world of technology. When the speed of data combines with advancements in Artificial Intelligence and quantum computing, it will make the world nearly unrecognizable. These changes will heighten fraud potential and cyber risks to a level unlike anything before.
Department of Education Update
Jacqueline Grama, CPA and Montu G. Patel, CPA – New Jersey Department of Education
Join us for a briefing from the Department of Education, for discussions on:
- Changes to the Audit Program
- GASB 84 and 87
- Other Department of Education Updates
The Art of Interviewing in Financial and Fraud Investigations
John Pizzuro – The Integrated Wellness Foundation
The majority of human communication is non-verbal, meaning there’s an opportunity to analyze somebody’s body language to determine if they are disingenuous. This presentation will delve into cognitive interview techniques, such as:
- How to frame questions in a manner that people will unknowingly provide more information.
- How stress impacts the limbic system and manifests through certain non-verbal actions.
- How to build rapport and get anyone to cooperate with you.