New Membership Categories Are Now Active
Changes to the NJCPA membership categories that aim to help retain student members, update terminology and simplify and consolidate member classes went into effect on June 1. The changes were approved by NJCPA members in November 2022.
Introducing Affliate Membership
The new Affiliate membership was created for non-CPA financial professionals who meet any of the following requirements:
- Completed the academic requirements to become a CPA and pursuing further requirements necessary to become a CPA
- Work in an accounting or finance position under the supervision of a CPA
- A chartered accountant or its equivalent in any country other than the United States
- An instructor of accountancy in a school of collegiate standing
- A non-CPA owner, partner, shareholder or principal of a firm licensed by the New Jersey State Board of Accountancy
Affiliates will not be able to vote on ballot measures presented to the membership but may be eligible for certain leadership positions.
The definition of the NJCPA Student Member category was changed to welcome students with various skill sets and different academic tracks but headed towards the same goal of becoming a CPA. Student Members are undergraduate or graduate students who have an interest in accounting, finance, business or information systems. Student membership is free and is open to college students in any state.
The Fellow Member category was renamed CPA Member to modernize the name and to indicate exactly who qualifies under the category — licensed CPAs from any state. Eligibility for this category remains the same.
This article appeared in the Summer 2023 issue of New Jersey CPA magazine. Read the full issue.