Incredible story of how a high school graduate stole $53 MILLION from a town of 16,000 people with a $10 million budget. This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions during the event.
City managers, mayors, fiscal officers, CPAs, bankers, executives, internal auditors, regulators, controllers, purchasing,, attorneys, compliance officers, risk managers
What you will learn:
- How to comply with independence requirements
- How to maintain professional skepticism
- How to comply with the requirement to be competent
- How to identify conflicts of interest
- Simple controls that would have deterred the theft
- The damage of a malpractice lawsuit
- A fraud so outrageous, it’s a movie
- Were the auditors independent?
- How Crundwell evaded detection for 20 years
- Impact on CPAs’ license
- How did the auditors assess risk?
- What audit procedures were performed, or not
- Fake documents Crundwell created
- Did the auditors detect the fraud?
- Actual court filings for the malpractice lawsuit
- What were the malpractice allegations?
- How much the fraud cost the auditors
- What happened to Crundwell’s family