Working from home presents both benefits and challenges for accountants. For employees, working from home provides opportunities to be more productive and gain time that would otherwise be spent commuting to and from the office. Employers who utilize remote work enjoy fewer fixed costs, more efficiency, and greater employee satisfaction.
Anyone in the accounting or financial services profession who seeks to understand ways to implement or improve work from home programs.
- Formulate a plan to implement a successful work from home program
- Understand how other accounting organizations successfully utilize remote work
- Be familiar with research and related studies identifying challenges and benefits of working remotely
- Technology and workstation arrangements
- Maximizing productivity
- Establishing procedures that can be implemented throughout the organization
- Understanding the relationship between remote work and employee retention
- Effective communication strategies for staying connected with colleagues and clients
- The productivity challenges unique to working from home
- Time management
- The importance of distinguishing between the “home office” and “home”
- Data privacy concerns
- Other ethical considerations that arise when working from home
General familiarity with the accounting profession.