Trusts are not cookie-cutter documents. In fact, they can be rather unwieldy, especially in explaining the functions to a client and then having the client comply with the trust terms. This course delves into best practices. Given common scenarios, what are the best trusts to use? What language should the trusts include? And how can the client be best protected?
Tax practitioners who advise clients on the benefits of establishing a trust.
- Advise individual clients on the benefits of using a trust to achieve their personal goals while avoiding taxation
- Save clients money in their estate planning
- Key concepts of trusts, including recent trends; best practices; jurisdiction; and ways to avoid pitfalls
- Changing a trust
- Federal estate tax exemption
- Discussion of federal and state estate taxes
- The role of family dynamics
- Choice of trustee and other fiduciaries – a word on institutional representatives
- Pet Trusts – the emerging necessities
- State, county, and local issues
- QTIP issues
- Creditor considerations
- Potential IRA problems
A basic understanding of simple trusts.