NJCPA Names Kathleen F. Powers, CPA, President for 2022/23
The New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJCPA) has named Kathleen F. Powers, CPA, CFO at The Matheny Medical and Educational Center of Peapack, president for the 2022/23 term. Powers replaces Harry P. Wills III, CPA, CGMA, partner at Bowman & Company LLP of Voorhees.
Powers has been an active member of the NJCPA community since 1998. She recently completed a three-year term on the Board of Trustees and served as leader of the Nonprofit Interest Group and the Healthcare Interest Group. She participates in several NJCPA committees and interest groups, including the Business & Industry Professionals Interest Group, Women’s Leadership Forum, Nonprofit Interest Group and Governmental Accounting & Auditing Interest Group.
As president, Powers will work to inform the next generation of young professionals about becoming CPAs and understanding the benefits of working in business and industry and the nonprofit arena. A staunch supporter of women’s equity in the accounting profession, Powers also plans to focus her presidency on helping female CPAs thrive in the profession.
“Kathy brings specialized knowledge from working as a CFO of a hospital and school serving developmentally disabled individuals in addition to her years spent in public accounting. She has been an inspiration to many professionals, and we are pleased she is taking the reins,” said Ralph Albert Thomas, CPA (DC), CGMA, CEO and executive director at the NJCPA.
Powers earned her Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Thomas Edison State College. She lives with her husband, Jesus, and her two daughters in Jackson.
2022/23 NJCPA Board of Trustees
- President: Kathleen F. Powers, CPA — Matheny Medical and Educational Center
- President-Elect: Edward G. O’Connell, CPA, CGMA, CFF, CFE — WithumSmith+Brown
- Secretary: John M. Szczomak, CPA — Smolin, Lupin & Co., P.A.
- Treasurer: June M. Toth, CPA, CFF, CITP, CGMA — zbt Certified Public Accounting & Consulting, LLC
- Immediate Past President: Harry P. Wills III, CPA, CGMA — Bowman & Company LLP
- CEO & Executive Director: Ralph Albert Thomas, CPA (DC), CGMA — NJCPA
- Brent M. Ashton, CPA — Ernst & Young LLP
- Kathleen Bernard, CPA — Lota & Bernard LLP
- Isabel Del Corral, CPA — McIntee Fusaro Del Corral, LLC
- Nicole M. DeRosa, CPA, MAcc — Wiss & Company LLP
- JoAnne Geylin, CPA — Geylin & Associates
- Jesse M. Herschbein, CPA, CGMA
- Altheia Leduc, CPA — Gold Gerstein Group LLC
- Christopher M. Lovasz, CPA — Deloitte
- Brian G. Nafash, CPA — Massood & Company, P.A.
- Dr. Sean Stein Smith, CPA, CFE, CGMA, CMA, DBA — Lehman College (CUNY)
- Michael A. Stillitano, CPA — National Retail Systems, Inc.
- Katherine E. Zech, CPA — PKF O’Connor Davies, LLP